Mum requested for a pandan chiffon cake last weekend, and so she gets it when she asked! Yes, it's that simple. All because it's my Mama.
As per the norm, I blended the pandan leaves with some water and squeeze it through a strainer to get the wonderful green juice. Keep it into an airtight container and left it in the fridge overnight. You get concentrated pandan sediments the next day. Of cuz at times when I get lazy and just wanna bake it rightaway, I use the pandan juice right after it goes through the strainer, but I find that using the concentrated pandan sediments makes the final product more fragrant.
Egg whites and yolks must be separated well, no yolk, water, oil must be present in white portion otherwise it will be difficult to attain stiff peak stage.
Ready to go into the oven!
I have tried several chiffon recipes but still prefers Cherry Potato's. Simple and straight forward, good results for me all this while.
Inverted and cooled, ready for unmoulding.
Pandan Chiffon cake
Recipe by Cherry Potato
5 egg yolks
30ml pandan juice
120ml coconut milk
80ml corn oil
2 tbsp water
120g cake flour (Plain flour and Hong Kong flour works well too)
60g sugar (I used 50g)
5 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
60g sugar (I used 50g)
1. Mix all ingredients A into a bowl till well blended.
2. Fold in sifted flour and sugar, and mix well. Set aside.
3. Using a clean and dry whisk, whisk egg whites and cream of tartat till frothy. (Must use clean and dry whisk here to whisk egg whites otherwise you will not be able to get the stiff peaks)
4. Gradually add in sugar and continue to whisk till stiff peaks form. (I add sugar into the whites in 3 additions)
5. Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture till well with a spatula. (I fold in the egg whites in 3 additions for easier folding and evenly blended)
6. Pour batter into a 9-inch ungreased chiffon tube pan. (Tap chiffon pan on tabletop 2 to 3 times to let out air pockets trapped in the batter)
7. Bake at prehwated oven at 170deg for 50-55 minutes or till done.
8. Remove from oven and invert cake to cool. (Inverting the cake is a must so that cake will not shrink away from sides and fall.)
9. Run a sharp knife around side and centre of tube pan and unmould cool chiffon cake carefully.