Friday, May 30, 2014
Bittergourd Vermicelli Soup with Tofu & Prawns
On days when I feel lazy and do not want to cook a meal that requires alot of washing and cleaning, I fall back on our favourite bee hoon soup.
All you need is a pot of anchovy stock and whatever ingredients that you can find in the fridge that goes well with the vermicelli soup and that settles a meal.
Ingredients for anchovy stock
1.5 to 2 litre of water
100g of anchovies aka ikan bilis (remove heads)
1 onion (deskin) - optional
1 carrot (deskin and cut into 3 pieces) - optional
1. Rinse anchovies in water till it turns clear, drain and leave aside.
2. Put the pot of water to boil then add washed anchovies, onion and carrot.
3. Let it boil for 30 minutes and then turn down heat to small and let simmer for another 30 minutes. Turn off heat , remove anchovies, onion and carrot and leave stock till later use.
Ingredients for Vermicelli soup
3 cubes Vermicelli aka bee hoon (soaked till soft)
8 pieces of prawns (deshell & devein)
1 box of Silken Tofu (cut into cubes)
1 bittergourd (wash & cut into small slices)
1 tomato (cut into 6 slices)
8 button mushrooms (cut into halves)
4 mushroom meatballs (cut into halves)
80g minced pork
Salt, to taste
Garnishing - Optional
Sliced red chilli
1. Season minced pork with a dash of pepper, 1/2 tsp of cornflour, 1 tsp of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp of sesame oil, few drops of cooking wine. Leave aside.
2. Put a small pot of water to boil. Put in soaked vermicelli and blanch it for 30 seconds. Drain the water, remove and divide vermicelli into 2 bowls.
3.Bring the pot of anchovy stock to boil and add sliced bittergourd. Cover and let boil for 3 minutes.
4. Scoop out seasoned minced pork into round bite sizes and drop gently into anchovy stock followed by prawns.
5. Add mushroom meatballs, button mushrooms, tomato and tofu. When boiled, add salt to taste.
6. Scoop ingredients and soup over blanched vermicelli. Top with garnishings and serve.