Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chicago Cheesecake



Went home after work on Monday and told hubby that I am gonna bake a Chicago Cheesecake after dinner.  His eyes lit up and said "Really?!! Okie okie!"

I have not eaten CBTL's Chicago Cheesecake before and hence do not know how it tastes like, but heard ravings about how good it is. Got to do one that is creamy, silky smooth and tangy tasting like CBTL's.

Googled and found a recipe by Bakericious .  I like that the cheesecake need not be baked in a waterbath! So I made it.  Hubby gave a thumbs up. Brought some for the peeps in office and I got positive feedback on the cheesecake.  Hmm, this recipe is definitely a keeper!  I will bake this again :)



Chicago Cheesecake
(for 6" cake pan)

Crust:
64g unsalted butter, softened and cut into chunks (I used salted butter and omitted the salt)
20g icing sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
64g all-purpose flour
pinch of salt (I omitted)

Filling:
500g cream cheese, softened
100g granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup buttermilk (original recipe calls for sour cream) - I do not have both, so I substituted it with 1/3 tbsp lemon juice mixed with enough milk to make up 80g and let stand for 5 minutes
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium egg yolk
2 medium eggs

For the crust:
The baked crust with pricky holes from the fork made before I send them into the oven

1. Best the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
3. Add the flour and the salt and beat on low speed until just combined.
4. Press the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. (I just put in the freezer for 10 minutes)
5. Pre-heat oven at 175 degree.
6. Prick the chilled crust several times with a fork and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
7. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

For the filling:
1. Pre-heat oven at 175 degree.
2. Beat the cream cheese on medium-low speed to break it up and soften it.
3. Add half the sugar and the lemon zest and beat on medium-low speed until combined.
4. Beat in the remaining sugar, flour and salt until combined, about another minute.
5. Mix the vanilla extract with buttermilk and add into the batter to beat till combined.
6. Add the egg yolk and beat for one minute.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat to combine after each addition.
8. Grease the side of the cake pan.  Set the pan on a rimmed baking sheet or aluminum foil to catch any spill.

No spills!

9. Pour the filling onto the cooled crust and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cheesecake is firm around the edges and barely jiggles in the centre. (See! No need for waterbath! Yeah :P)

Cheesecake when removed from the oven continues to cook for that 3 hours, and that is why we need to remove it when it still has a slight jiggle in the middle. When it finally cools down after the 3 hours or so, it sets nicely in the fridge and you will get that silky smooth and creamy texture.


10. Transfer to wire rack and cool for 3 hours then wrap tightly with plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours and up to 4 days.
11. Unmould the cheesecake and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.