Here I present you my yummy roll cake with thick mao shan wang durian puree! A sinful indulgence but let's just enjoy, because it is December - a month of play and feastings.
Durian Roll Cake
4 egg yolks
35g caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
80g plain flour
4 egg whites
30g caster sugar
1 tsp corn flour
250g durian puree
3 tbsp fresh milk (or more if required to thin durian puree to desired consistency)
1. Prepare 10inch by 10inch baking tray line with baking paper. You may lightly grease baking tray with some cooking oil and then line baking paper to prevent baked cake from having "wrinkles". Preheat oven to 170deg C. Prepare 2 other pieces of baking paper (slightly bigger size than baking tray) or use later after cake is baked.
2. Combine egg yolks and caster sugar in A and beat till egg yolk mixture turns white and pale, and air bubbles show up when beating stops.
3. Add in water, oil and vanilla essence and mix well. Sift in plain flour and mix well. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites in a clean and dry bowl till frothy, add in corn flour and beat till combined.
5. In 3 separate additions, add caster sugar into egg white mixture and beat till stiff peaks form.
6. In 3 separate additions, spoon white eggs into yolk mixture and fold in carefully till a smooth batter forms (take care not to overfold and deflate the batter).
7. Pour batter onto lined baking tray and smooth out top with a scraper. Put to bake at 170deg C for 14min or till done. (Cake should spring back when pressed slightly, toothpick to come out dry when inserted into centre of cake, and when pressed gently there should be slight "sss" sound. Overbaked cake will have cracks showing up when rolled.)
8. Remove tray from oven and overturn tray on 1 piece of baking paper atop a cooling rack. Remove the lined baking paper sticking on cake and cover cake with baking tray. Let cool for about 10min or till cake is cool. Remove baking tray.
9. Spread prepared durian filling all over cake, leaving about 1cm of far end clear of filling.
10. Roll up cake into a log shape with the help of bottom baking paper and twist sides of baking paper to hold the cake. Rest rolled cake with the end at the bottom and leave cake in fridge for at least an hour before cutting. Best served chilled.
You may lessen durian puree to 150g and add 100ml of whipping cream to durian filling if you do not like thick durian filling.