Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chocolate Yoghurt Bundt Cake



Having seen many many nicely baked bundt cakes previously, I bought one bundt pan so long time back that I had forgotten when. It was stashed away in my bareware storage area that I almost did not know I had it.
I followed Diana's recipe closely except tt I had replaced sour cream with yoghurt, that's why the name - Chocolate Yoghurt Bundt Cake. 
For the cake:
For the chocolate glaze:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350°F (176.6°C) . Butter and flour a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
Notes: 


Diana Gale of Domestic Goddess Wannabe's post on her Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake made me remember that I have THE pan.  Diana's bundt cake looked yummy.  I wanted one of my own.  Not much procrastination this time and I baked it soon after.

The cake was really tender.  I had it cooled for quite awhile before I unmoulded it but it definitely was not a clean job.  The cake came apart at one side, but I still thought I could make a good photo out of it.  At least I tried.  No one says that only nice perfect food pics can make it to a food blog.  I could put in blotched food pics too hehe!


A bad job at unmoulding the cake, yeah?

The cake tasted great with moist insides.  I did not do the chocolate glaze as I wanted to keep my cake to the minimal (that's an excuse, I was just too lazy :P).

Alright, chocolate lovers go bake this cake, you will love it.


Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake (Serves 12-16)
Adapted from Domestic Goddess Wannabe and twopeasandtheirpod, Inspired by Jennifer Wong

1 cup (225g) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan

1/3 cup (39.3g) cocoa powder (we use Dutch processed) - I used Valrhona
1 teaspoon (5.69g) kosher salt
1 cup (240ml) water
2 cups (250g) plain flour, plus more for the pan
1 3/4 cups (350g) granulated sugar - I reduced this to 1 1/4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.2g) baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (116g) sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract

4 ounces (120g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped - I used Valrhona 70%

1 1/2 tablespoons(16.8g) corn syrup (or agave nectar)
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons (21g) granulated sugar

2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
5. While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. Place the chopped chocolate and corn syrup (or agave) in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
6. Generously drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Cut into pieces and serve.

Cake can be kept in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. 

You can halve the recipe and make the cake in a 6-cup Bundt pan or a 5x9-inch loaf pan. You will need to adjust the baking time accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.