Getting more confident after each successful try 😊
Always love taking photos of each cut made to reveal the nicely rolled cake slices. Mum and Hubby gave thumbs up after trying *yeah*
Lemon Butter Cream Roll Cake
(Recipe by 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷)
Makes one 31cm x 21cm cake (I baked it in my 26x26cm square cake tin)
80g egg yolks (about 4 eggs)
20g castor Sugar
30g corn Oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
65gm plain flour
150g egg whites (about 4 eggs)
80gm castor sugar
80gm softened Butter
40gm Icing Sugar
20gm Lemon Juice
20gm WaterZest of 1/2 a lemon
Lemon butter cream (I normally prepare cake fillings before doing the sponge cake. Leave the cream into fridge for later use till cake is baked & cooled for use.)
1. Sift in icing sugar into softened butter and mix well with a spatula first before beating under high speed till fluffy and creamy.
2. Combine lemon juice, lemon zest and water in a bowl and and pour lemon juice mixture into butter mixture.
3. Beat to combine well and it is ready for use.
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Line baking tray with baking paper, leaving about an inch of extra baking paper up the sides of the baking tray.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar till well mixed and sugar has dissolved. Add in oil, water, lemon juice, lemon zest and mix well.
3. Sift in flour and mix well. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites using an electric mixer under low speed till whites turn foamy. Add in sugar gradually in 3 additions and beat till slightly stiff peaks are formed.
5. Beat whites under low speed for one minute to get a smooth and fine egg white mixture.
6. Fold in the 1/3 of whites into the yolks mixture. Mix well with a hand whisk. - this is done to allow easier incorporation of the remaining egg whites when you fold in later.
7. Pour the mixture into the remaining whites and fold well using a spatula.
8. Pour into the lined baking tray and even out batter top.
9. Bake at 170 deg C for 15 minutes.
Cake is done when the surface turn brown and springs back when pressed lightly with finger.
10. Remove lined baked cake from baking tray to cool on cooling rack with a sheet of baking paper on top. After about 5 minutes, invert cake over and carefully peel off baking paper from cake bottom.
11. Place a new piece of baking paper over cake and invert. Peel off top piece of baking paper, make about 3 slits 1/3 down start of cake to allow easier rolling.
12. Spread lemon buttercream evenly over cake with a spatula and roll up cake tightly. Twist both ends of baking paper to secure roll cake, leave in fridge for an hour before cutting.
I am submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #20 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours