Thursday, January 8, 2015

Steamed Cabbage Roll

Have you all tried steamed cabbage roll? Try it if you all haven't, will you?


I have procrastinated for the longest time on trying out this recipe. I finally tried! And I love it. And why did I sit on it for that long? Simply because I did not want to go through the blanching of cabbage leaf part and then having to wrap the stir-fried fillings in the cabbage leave before finally steaming them to eat. I did not want to go through such a trouble. Oh well, in the end, I caved in. So here is it.  I got down to do and quite enjoy it. Seriously, I will cook this again because it was a yummy dish.

Steamed Cabbage Rolls
Recipe by Andrew Kow of One Day One Dish | 365 Selected Home-Cooked Recipes

1 cabbage
150g minced pork
1 carrot (peeled)
5 pcs black fungus
8 water chestnuts (peeled)
150g celery (I left this out and used 3 pcs of chinese mushrooms instead - minced)

Seasonings
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp chicken seasoning powder (I left this out and added 1/2 tbsp chinese cooking wine)

1. Shred carrot, black fungus, water chestnuts and celery. (I cut water chestnuts and soaked chinese mushrooms into cubes instead)


2. Boil 1/2 pot of water, cook whole cabbage in boiling water till soft, remove and drain. Gently pluck off each cabbage leaf. (I plucked off each leaf and washed them, then blanched a few pcs of cabbage leaves at a time. I did not cook whole cabbage in water for fear of tearing them apart when plucking them as the leaves would be too delicate for me to handle)


3. Heat up oil in pot, add in ingredients (except cabbage), and seasonings, and stir-fry till fragrant.  Remove amd drain,  reserve sauce for use later.


4. Place the mixture on a cabbage leaf, and roll it up.  Repeat for other cabbage leaves. Place cabbage rolls on a steaming tray and steam for 10-15 minutes.



5. Mix some tapioca flour with water to thicken the reserved sauce. Pour it over the steamed cabbage rolls.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    Wow, this is such a delicious dish! I can see that the plate would be empty real quick if served at the dinner table!
    All the preparation that goes into this dish, definitely worth it! Looks really yummy!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce for dropping by. Yes, I was glad I tried this dish.
      I might try using wongbok next round. Happy to contribute my part in CYB 😊

      Delete
  2. Oh ya, Janice. Me too have seen this recipe but switched off about the blanching etc etc hah...hah... Well, you have tried it and it is good. So when is my turn? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phong Hong, not sure if steaming can be done to replace the blanching part? Could be easier since just need to pluck out leaves and then leave them on a big dish plate for steaming. Lazy me thinking of ways to escape blanching the next time I make this dish hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.