Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pumpkin Wholemeal Bread with Chia Seeds and Rolled Oats


These loaves of bread were done and baked and sent over to my Dad. Trying to get them to eat healthier bread and lesser of store bought white bread. We all know how bad white bread are to health if consumed long term right? So start influencing your loved ones on eating healthier bread!

Chia seeds are great source of Omega-3 fats and fibre. At the same time, it stabilizes blood sugar, combats diabetes and lower cholesterol. Many more benefits to consuming chia seeds, so go read up and then start incorporating them into your daily diet.

I add these goodies into my oats and bread. Hubby who did not used to be into such health food is now gradually accepting these positively :) I share what I read about these good stuff and let him know what I'm feeding him.  We are what we eat, so let's start being healthy together!

I made these Pumpkin Bread using the scalded method (Recipe by Alex Goh), but I substituted part of the recipe with wholemeal flour, added chia seeds and topped it off with a layer of rolled oats.


Pumpkin bread (Scalded method)

(A)
100g bread flour
85g boiling water

(B)
400g bread flour (I used 80g wholemeal flour and 320g bread flour)
40g sugar
1 tsp salt
15g milk powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder (I left this out)
8g instant yeast
2 tbsp chia seeds

(C)
120g pumpkin (cooked and mashed)

(D)
150g cold water

(E)
60g butter

(F)
80g pumpkin seeds (I used rolled oats instead, just enough to top the loaf)

1. Add the boiling water from A into bag flour, mix until well-blended to form a dough. Cover and set aside to cool.  Keep in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
2. Mix B until well-blended. Add in C and D, knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well-blended.
3. Add in E, mix to form a smooth and elastic dough. Add in F, mix until well combined. (I left out F for filling and used it as topping instead.)
4. Cover it and let it proof for 40 minutes.


5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and mould it round. Place 6 pieces of dough into a 24 x 13 x 7cm pan. Makes 2 loaves. (I divided dough into 6 equal pieces instead to make 2 loaves, with 3 pieces of dough in 1 tin). Let it proof for 45 minutes or until double in size.
6. Egg wash the surface and sprinkle some rolled oats on top. Bake at 180 degree for 30 minutes.

Soft healthy bread for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.