Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mao Shan Wang Durian Puffs II


And so I made durian puffs again. This time I used Noobcook's Durian cream puffs recipe, and I must say I personally prefer this recipe slightly more than mydeartummy's.  Somehow the consistency I got for the puff mixture with this recipe was slightly thicker and each puffs rose better and had more puff space for durian pures and cream. Hehe... and so I spoon lots of durian puree in them hehe!

Gave a box of the puffs to my parents and sister, and had good feedbacks!  I finally mastered Choux method puffs making :)



Durian Puffs
Recipe by Noobcook

Water or 1 lightly beaten egg
icing sugar for dusting; optional

Choux Pastry (Cream Puff Shells)
2 large eggs lightly beaten

(A) Dry mixture
1/2 cup (65 grams) plain or all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt

(B) Butter mixture
57 grams unsalted butter cubed
1/2 cup (120 ml) water

Durian Cream Filling
450 grams durian flesh
150 ml whipping cream (I used milk instead)

Choux Pastry (Cream Puff Shells)
1. In a large bowl, sift or whisk (A). Set aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan, add (B). Bring to a boil over medium heat, then once the butter has fully melted, take the pan off the heat. Add the flour (A) and stir with a spatula until the dough is well combined.
3. Return saucepan to the heat and stir constantly with a spatula until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a thick smooth ball, about 1-2 minutes.
4. Let the dough cool to lukewarm temperature, then using a mixer or hand blender, start adding the lightly beaten eggs (dough will separate and then come together) and continue to mix until you have a smooth thick paste (dough will fall from a spoon in a thick ribbon).
5. On each baking tray, spoon or pipe 12 small mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, spacing about 5 cm (2 inch) apart. Moisten your fingers with water and dab the tops to flatten the tip of each dough. Alternatively, with a pastry brush, gently brush the tops of the dough with a lightly beaten egg (for a golden glazed finish). (I just dab the tops with some water)
6. Bake for 15 minutes at preheated oven of 200°C (400° F) and then reduce the oven temperature to 180° C (350° F). Continue to bake for a further 20-30 minutes (mine took 20 minutes) or until the shells are a nice amber color and when split, are almost dry inside.

I can bake them, so can you!

Durian Cream
1. In a mixer, add whipping cream and beat just until stiff peaks form.
2. Stir in the durian flesh and continue beating a medium speed until the paste is smooth.
(I used pure durian puree mixed with some tbsp of milk, mix to form a consistency easy enough to spoon into each puffs)

To Assemble
1.Cut the pastry shells in half and fill or pipe with durian cream.
2. Dust with icing sugar before serving, if preferred.
Keep durian puffs in the fridge for up to a day. Freeze extras in a tightly sealed ziplock bag or container and when ready to consume, thaw the puffs on a plate at room temperature for about 5-10minutes before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.