Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Claypot Mee Tai Bak

Weather has been humid and hot of late, and I got real lazy to cook and do anything. Decided to just be lazy and cook a one-dish claypot mee tai bak and have it for dinner.  Easy to cook, little to wash and more time for rest - a mantra for myself whenever the weather gets a little too unbearable.

As if it isn't bad enough, I am having a bad throat now as I write, on the verge of losing my voice and coughing incessantly. Sad! Hubby and I have set an evening out some 2 days later for a mini celebration and I hope to be okay by then :(

A lazy post this time. Please bear with me :)


Claypot Mee Tai Bak
(Serves 2)

1 pack of mee tai bak (bought from supermarket's noodles section)
8 button mushrooms, sliced
10 prawns, deshell & de-vein
6 dried mushrooms, soak & remove stalks, cut into thin strips (reserve mushroom water for use)
3-4 tbsp minced meat, mixed with 1 tbsp water to loosen up meat
6 pieces meat balls, cut into quarters
2 eggs
2-3 pieces small red chilli, washed & cut into smaller pieces (optional)
4 pieces garlic, minced
2 tbsp oil
200ml water (more if you like)
2 tsp Cornstarch

Seasoning
2 tbsp black soya sauce
1.5 tbsp oyster/ abalone sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp chinese cooking wine (Hua diao chiew)
A dash of pepper

Garnish
Spring onions

1. Put a pot of water to boil. Remove mee tai bak from packaging and blanch it in the boiling water for about 30 seconds to remove oil and loosen them up.
2. Put mee tai bak under running water to cool it abit, drain off water and set aside.
3. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in claypot on medium heat.  Add in garlic and fry till fragrant.
4. Add in dried mushrooms and fry till fragrant.
5. Stir in minced meat and stir fry till half cooked, then add in prawns to cook till half done as well.
6. Add in meat balls and blanched mee tai bak and stir well.  Add in seasoning and mix well.
7. Add water and leftover mushroom water and stir till well mixed.  Cover and bring to a simmering boil.
8. Mix cornstarch with some water and stir into simmering pot to thicken the sauce. Crack 2 eggs and drop them into the pot of noodles, cover and let it heat further for 30 seconds or until you can see the whites of the eggs.  Garnish & serve immediately.

Garnish with spring onions and serve (with some chilli if preferred).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.