Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Radish Soup

Hubby is a Cantonese while I am a Teochew, so we both love soup.  It's quite a soup affair for us when we are at home during the weekends.

My Mum and Mother-in-Law make good soup, and I try to replicate their soups on Saturdays when we are at home and going nowhere during the evenings.

Without further ado, this is another soup added to my soup collection. I love radish, so I am always happy when I know that my MIL cooks this soup. Cantonese soup broth are often put to simmer on low heat for hours, to bring out the rich essence and taste of all ingredients in the soup pot. Yummy!


Radish Soup
(Serves 2)

4 pcs medium or XL size dried scallops, washed & rinsed
1 pc chicken breast with bone 
1 white radish, de-skinned and cut into bite size pcs
1 carrot, de-skinned and halved
1 onion, de-skinned and rinsed
1/2 dried cuttlefish, rinsed
5 red dates, pitted and rinsed (I ran out of it and did not add them)
1 tbsp of peppercorn, crushed slightly (I did not add them)

2 litre of water
salt to taste

1. Remove chicken breast skin and all excess fats and blood residues. Wash and drain.
2. Put water to main pot and bring to boil.


3. Meanwhile, bring a separate small pot of water to boil, put in chicken breast and blanch it for another 1 minute to remove oil and scum. Briefly rinse blanched chicken breast meat under running water and pour it into the boiling main pot. Add in all other ingredients into main pot and leave to boil on high heat for about 15 minutes. 
4. Bring down to low heat and let simmer for 3 hours. 
5. Just before serving, add in salt to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.