Flipped through Alex Goh's Magic Bread recipe book and then went about my yet-another bread adventure. Hope my hubby isn't getting too sick of eating bread since I am already racking my brain to make different kinds of bread each week! Talk about effort, huh? Heh!
These colourful really-sushi-look-alike sandwiches tasted great! Hubby said that these sushi sandwiches were so cute and dainty to eat.
Sushi? Or bread?
Now read on to see how I do it, will you? I hope you do follow on, and do try making it, I am pretty sure kids will like it too and this could be another way to get them to eat their vege :)
Well, first thing, get down to doing a sandwich loaf first. I did it using Alex Goh's Magic Bread book - Sandwich Bread.
Beware of long long recipe post ahead - 1 on Sandwich Bread and another on Sushi Sandwiches.
Gelatinised dough and overnight sponge dough were both prepped a night before.
Recipe by Alex Goh's Magic Bread, adapted from Happy Home Baking
(makes one 11cm x 11cm x 20cm loaf)
(A) Gelatinised dough (烫种)
75g bread flour
53g boiling water
(B) Overnight sponge dough (隔夜中种面团)
100g bread flour
60g water (room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
(C) Main dough（主面团）
225g bread flour
10g milk powder
22g caster sugar
4g instant yeast
143g water (room temperature)
60g overnight sponge dough
gelatinised dough from (A)
30g butter (cut into cubes)
Gelatinised dough (烫种)
Add the boiling water in (A) into the bread flour, stir and mix to form a rough dough. Cover dough and set aside to cool. Wrap dough and leave it to chill in fridge for at least 12 hrs. (Bring back to room temperature before using.)
Overnight sponge dough
Mix bread flour in (B) with instant yeast. Add water and mix to form a rough dough. Cover dough let it proof for 30min. Wrap dough and refrigerate overnight. Note: only 60g is required. Bring back to room temperature before using.
1. Mix together bread four, milk powder, caster sugar, salt and instant yeast in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, and add in water and overnight dough. Knead to form a rough dough. Knead in gelatinised-dough.
2. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough till smooth. This should take about 10 min. Knead in the butter. Continue to knead the dough until it no longer sticks to your hand, becomes smooth and elastic. This should take about another 15~20 min. Do the window pane test: pinch a piece of the dough, pull and stretch it. It should be elastic, and can be pulled away into a thin membrane without tearing/breaking apart easily. 3. Place dough in a lightly greased (use vegetable oil or butter) mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let proof in room temperature (around 28 to 30 deg C) for about 60 min, or until double in bulk.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and give a few light kneading to press out the gas in the dough. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Roll each dough into smooth rounds, cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let the dough rest for 10min.
5. On a lightly floured work surface, flatten each dough and roll out to form a longish oval shape. Starting from the shorter end, roll it up swiss-roll style. Leave the doughs to rest for another 10 min.
6. Flatten each dough and roll it out again to form a long rectangle (around 30cm x 10cm). Flip the dough over and roll up swiss-roll style, roll up as tightly as possible. Pinch and seal the seams. Place the three dough, seam side down, in a well greased (with butter) pullman tin.
7. Cover with damp cloth or cling wrap and leave dough to proof for the second time for about 50~60 min, or until the pan is 80% full. Cover the lid (well greased with butter) and bake at 220 deg C for 35 min. Unmould immediately and once cool store in an airtight container.
There you go! Soft white sandwich bread to spread your favourite jam on.
Still following through? Great! Let's move on to Sushi Sandwich making now :)
Prepare sandwich bread slices (as per above).
Cucumber (cut into strips)
Carrot (cut into strips)
Crab sticks (cut into half long strip each)
Chicken / Pork floss
1. You may remove the slides of bread crumbs which I did. Spread some mayonnaise onto the bread slices.2. Place cucumber, carrot, crab stick and chicken floss on top and roll it up firmly. Set aside for 10 minutes to firm the shape.
3. Cover the bread with seaweed sheet (slice them up equally and you're done!).