Leaving you with some photos of my soft soft tuna and onion buns.
Tuna & Onion Buns
Gelatinized Basic Sweet Bread recipe by Alex Goh
50g bread flour
35ml boiling water
1. Place flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.
3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour, and up to 48 hours.
Basic sweet bread dough
(Yield roughly 480g dough. I divided them into 6 equal portions)
150g bread flour
50g plain flour
10g milk powder
1/2 tbsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
87ml cold water
1/2 cold egg (about 30g)
30g cold butter, cubed
A can of tuna, any flavour of your choice
1 yellow onion, cut into small cubes)
(I heat up a pan and fry the tuna and onion cubes to dry the fillings a little so that my buns will not be soggy after baked. Set aside to cool. Portion them equally for the bun fillings.)
1. Combine flour, sugar, milk powder, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the bowl along with the eggs
3. Using a stand electric mixer, mix on low speed, adding cold water gradually.
4. Mix until dough is well combined and leave the side of bowl.
5. Add in the cold butter cubes and mix on medium speed until dough is smooth.
6. Shape dough into a ball, leave to proof for 40 min or until doubled.
7. Punch down dough to rid excess air, then divide dough into 6 or 8 equal portions at 80g or 60g respectively and roll it round and set aside for 5 min to let it relax for easier rolling.
8. Roll out dough into a round shape.
9. Spoon a portion of tuna filling onto centre of dough and wrap up.
10. Seal bottom of dough to secure tuna fillings from spilling out. Set dough with sealed ends at bottom.
11. Place dough onto greased baking tin.
13. Cover with clean moist cloth and leave to proof for 40min.
14. Brush top with the leftover beaten egg (mixed with 1 tsp water) from the dough mix. (I then sprinkled some dried parsley on top of each dough as garnish)
15. Bake in preheated oven at 180deg for 25min or till bun top turn slightly golden brown. (Every oven works differently so indicated temperature might or might not work for you.)