Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Coffee Walnut Loaf (Sponge dough starter method)

Breadmaking during weekday has become quite a routine now that I have a BM.  Saves me the time of mixing the ingredients, while I get to eat my dinner.

Last week, I came across a coffee loaf recipe by Kimmy-cookingpleasure and decided to give it a try.  It was a loaf using the sponge dough method.  I prepped the sponge dough starter a night before, and left it in the fridge till when I was ready to bake the following day.


More than double the size it got after just 30 min of proofing!

A few hours later, a loaf of nice smelling and wonderfully soft loaf of bread emerged. Hubby gave a thumbs up :) This recipe is really a keeper!


The soft and pillowy texture lasted 2 days and was all gone by then.


Recipe by Kimmy-cookingpleasure
Coffee Loaf (Sponge dough method)

Ingredients for Sponge Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast 
200 ml water
  • Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough.  Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours.  Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
270 gm bread flour
30 gm cocoa powder 
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp  salt
1 large egg
3 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 130 ml hot water
60 gm butter 
I added some chopped walnuts for the extra bite
  • Add all the ingredients [except butter] to the sponge dough.  Knead until well combined and dough is soft for about 10 minutes then add in butter.  Continue kneading until soft, smooth and elastic.   Knead a further 10 minutes and dough does not stick to the fingers.
  • Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size.    Punch down dough.
  • Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log (I spread the chopped walnuts across the rolled out dough and then roll it up swiss roll style).  Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size.  [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make smaller loaves within 1 Pullman's tin ].
  • Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes.  Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.