Sunday, March 30, 2014

Matcha Dorayaki

Hubby was away in Indonesia for biz trip last week and I was alone at home for one night before I went to stay at Mum's place for the next three. I had a slight craving for something matcha flavour, so I made some matcha flavoured dorayaki for breakfast the next day.

Now, I used to buy bakeable green tea powder from Phoon Huat for my bakes, but ever since I got my hand on a mini can of matcha powder from the Japanese section found in NTUC Finest, there is no turning back for me again. Costly for a mini can but well worth the price. Phoon Huat's bakeable green tea powder pales in comparison.


This small can costs slightly over 7 bucks.


I made Dorayaki several times before and came up with the following recipe I thought works the best for me.



Matcha Dorayaki (Makes 4 sets)
2 large eggs
60g caster sugar
80g plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder (sieved)
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oil
1-2 tbsp water
2 tsp matcha powder

Fillings - Azuki bean paste or Nutella chocolate jam

1. Combine eggs, sugar and honey in a mixing bowl and whisk till fluffy.
2. Add in sieved flour mixture into batter and mix till well blended. Cover with clingwrap and leave in fridge to rest for about 10 minutes.
3. Add water into batter and mix well. Batter should be slightly thicker than pancake batter. Too thin a batter will result in flat pancakes.
4. Heat a non-stick pan over low heat. Lightly oil the pan with oil. Too much oil will result in unsightly pancake surface.

Pan brushed with too much oil here!
Ugly pancake surface.

5. Using a ladle that holds about 2 tbsp of batter, drop batter into pan to form an even and round diameter. When you see bubbles forming on batter surface, flip using a spatula to cook other side of pancake. Transfer cooked pancakes to plate covered with clingwrap to prevent drying. Repeat till batter is used up.


Bubbles start to form and it is time to flip and cook the other side.

Lightly oil pan and you get this nice pancake surface.


6. Sandwich pancake with azuki bean paste or nutella jam. Wrap dorayaki with clingwrap until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.