Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rich Chocolate Chiffon Cake


Took a break from work and got a 2-weeks plus period out of Singapore with my hubby.  We went to Central and Eastern Europe.  Free & easy, no tour.

We never like being led around on tours, hehe.  We like to sleep and laze till late, eat when we feel like it, travel at our own pace, everything with no restrictions.

It was a good break - one that we needed badly.  No stress, just play.  All we need to worry about was where to go the next day, and what should we eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Life was good, and how we wish it would stay that way.  I super miss the nice cold weather and super cheap
thirst-quenching beer there!

Now that I am back to reality, life needs to be get back to normal, right? So very naturally I start my cooking and baking regime again (yeah!!!).

I wanted to do something using the chocolate pudding I "smuggled" back (I had it checked in with my big and heavy luggage).

Actually I couldn't quite make out if it is chocolate pudding or chocolate cream but well, I bought it from the supermarket in Prague and fell in love with it.  It was so smooth, creamy and best of all, rich in taste (I googled and it is actually a pudding-like dessert, and you can make them at home too!  Marketplace do sell them but I have never seen these in NTUC before and ah! I saw NTUC Finest selling it too but not Danette brand).   I just had to bring some back and bake something with it!  And so I did.  A decadently sinfully rich chocolate chiffon cake!

The chocolate smell came out and lingered in the kitchen while baking halfway in the oven.  Finally had the cake done, cooled and then cut to reveal the moist middle sections.

Hubby had it for breakfast the next day and said "this chocolate chiffon cake is delicious, really moist and rich, yet not too sweet".  It turned out the way I wanted it to be.  I am a happy gal. :)

Rich Chocolate Chiffon Cake

A)
70g semi-sweet chocolate block or chips (I used Danette chocolate pudding)
Caster oil 90g

B)
6 egg white (about 230g)
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

C)
5 egg yolks (about 80g)
80g caster sugar

D)
130g water

E)
80g Cake flour / Plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt




1.  Chop semi-sweet chocolate block into chunks and double-boil it with the oil.  Stir till well combined.  Set chocolate mixture aside to cool.
(As I used ready made chocolate pudding, I just mixed it together with the oil, no double-boiling needed.)
2.  Whisk egg white and cream of tartar till frothy.  Add caster sugar in egg white in 3 additions and whisk till stiff peak.  Set aside.
3.  Using the same whisk, whisk (C) till pale in colour and stir in chocolate mixture.
4.  Add (D) and whisk till combined.  Thereafter sieve in (E).
5.  Fold in one-third white meringue into yolk mixture.
6.  Fold in remaining meringue gently.
7.  Pour batter into 21cm tube pan. Tap the pan twice on the tabletop to remove excess air bubbles and bake at 170deg for about 50min or till done.
8.  Turn tube pan over to cool before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.