Friday, July 11, 2014

Pork Floss Buns

How time flies! It is already July now. June was a month of little cooks and bakes. Bad knee problems and I am trying to refrain from standing too much and for too long.  Hopefully condition gets better and I can get back in action.  I got a new toy and I cannot wait to put it into full use!


Made these buns some weekends back, so once again, this is quite an overdue post.  Please bear with me for I am trying to keep up with my blog pace and be active once again :)

Buns using Sponge dough method

Step 1 - Sponge dough preparation
2 tsp instant yeast
160ml-170ml water 
230g bread flour

1. Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour. Knead to form a smooth dough. (I mixed using a spatula, and did not knead by hand to get smooth dough)
2. Cover and leave to proof for 1 to 1.5 hour or double in size.  (I covered top loosely with a clingwrap and left it in the fridge for up to 16 hours till use)

Step 2 - Ingredients
60g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1small egg
25 ml water 
100g bread flour
30g butter (softened at room temperature)

1. Add all Step 2 ingredients (except for butter) to sponge dough from Step 1.  
2. Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth (takes about 7-10 minutes).  Add in softened butter and continue to knead till dough is soft and elastic (window pane stage).
3. Shape dough into ball and cover. Leave aside to proof for 15 minutes.4.  Punch down dough and divide into 60g per portion or into any portion required.
4.  Shape dough into any shapes with fillings.  Leave to rise for 30 to 40 minutes or until double in size. Brush with egg or milk glaze.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 190 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. 


Pork Floss mixture
8 tbsp mayonnaise sauce
2 tbsp condensed milk
Pork floss (desired amount to cover buns)


1. Mix mayo sauce with condensed milk and stir till well mixed.
2. When the buns have cooled, make a slit halfway into top of each buns.
3. Spread the mayo mixture in the cut of the buns and all over the bun top. Gently press the bun tops into a bowl filled with pork floss.  Coat the bun evenly with pork floss. Do the same for the rest of the buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.