Saturday, September 20, 2014

Flower-shaped Match & Cocoa Bread


Recently I purchased a flower shaped bread pan from Taobao.  I eyed it for some time and finally caved in.

Mood is good with the vacation date drawing nearer.  I wanna bake a loaf of flower shaped bread, can I? He he he~

Our trip this round is to Japan.  I went along with baking a matcha flower shaped bread then.  Friends know my love for anything matcha.

Went about adapting Kimmy's recipe.  I added some cocoa to one part and matcha powder to the other, and the loaf had that lightly marbled effect with more green than brown, but it was okay for me :)

Halved the recipe and made one loaf. Dough fitted well in the pan and I was pleased with the end result.

Flower-shaped Matcha & Cocoa Bread
Recipe by Kimmy Cooking Pleasure


Overnight Dough
100 gm bread flour
200 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
250 ml water

Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough.  Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours.  Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.

Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour
2 tbsp milk powder3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 large egg
6 tsp cocoa powder
3 tsp matcha powder
50 ml water [more or less]
60 gm butter [2 tbsp]

1. Add all the ingredients [except water, butter and cocoa paste] to the sponge dough.
2. Knead until well combined, then gradually add in water [if necessary] while kneading until a soft dough is formed.  Knead for about 10 minutes then add in butter.  Continue kneading until soft, smooth, elastic and dough does not stick to the fingers [about 15 minutes on high speed].
3. Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Add cocoa powder to 1 portion and matcha powder to the next and knead until well incorporated to each bread dough.
4. Shape into balls separately and cover each with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
5. Roll each portion flat and stack up alternating the plain and cocoa dough.  Flatten and  fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log.  Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 180deg C for 25min. Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.