Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kueh Lapis 千层糕


Time of the year for lapis baking again! And I certainly enjoy baking these cakes. Crazy? Yup, you may say that. Difficult cake to make? No. It is the steps that builds up to baking this whole cake that truly test one's patience. not forgetting that you need to set aside at least 3 hours for baking this cake.

A challenging cake to make. A cake sooooo sinful yet many are willing to put aside diet plans temporarily just for a few slices of them. Look at the numbers of egg yolks that goes into this 1 cake!



I was on a lucky strike to have got no burst yolks and I was secretly celebrating inside! This recipe calls for 20 egg yolks but because the plate of eggs which I got were so small, with each whole egg weighing only between 52g to 54g each (with shells on), I decided to use 23 yolks instead. No change for whites - 4 whites, because too much of them makes a dry lapis.

Have these ready, with some nice brandy, the usual sugar, flour and vanilla essence and you are ready for Lapis baking!

I had wanted to try out new lapis recipes but could not decide on one. Every one I found on the net seems good, hence I decided to just stick to my usual. I did not want to risk trying new recipes since I was giving these to my Dad! He loves lapis! 


Nicely wrapped in clingwrap and ready to be delivered to Dad!


No more long winded story. Here you are for the recipe :)


I wish you all an advanced Lunar New Year!!!
May this new year brings about good health, happiness and prosperity to Everyone! Huat ah!!!


Kueh Lapis
(Recipe by Mad Baker)

20 egg yolks (I used 23 egg yolks as the eggs I bought were small)
4 egg whites
500g salted butter
3 tbsp condensed milk
340g sugar 
200g plain flour
2 tsp ground mixed spices 
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp rum or brandy
90g pitted prunes, sliced into thin strips (optional) - I did not add 

Extra butter, about 70g for brushing

1. Butter the base of an 8″ X 8″ X 2.5″ pan and line with baking parchment.
2. Pre-heat your oven, selecting the grill function. I left the lined tin in the oven to be preheated together so that the lapis batter will melt and spread when spooned in it.

3. Sift the plain flour and mixed spices together.



4. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale yellow, thick and creamy.



5. Cream the butter and condensed milk together until soft and fluffy. Add the creamed butter to the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.



 Cream butter and condensed milk till soft and fluffy?

Combined creamed butter with yolk mixture.

6. Beat the egg whites until medium firm peaks.




7. Fold in the egg whites, followed by the flour mixture into the rest of the batter.



Fold in whites in yolk and cream batter.

Then fold in flour mixture.

 8. Stir in the vanilla essence and rum until well-combined. 



9. Spread a thin layer of batter onto the parchment paper. (Mix sure that lined tin has been left in oven to be preheated together prior to  spreading layer over it.)
10. Grill for 7 - 8 minute on the lowest rack in your oven or until lightly golden brown.
11. Remove cake pan from oven and press the baked layer down lightly with a metal fondant smoother. Prick all over the layer of cake with a toothpick. Brush some butter all over grilled layer (to keep cake moist).




12. Repeat steps 9 to 11 for each layer. (Optional: Add prunes on every second or third layer). (Spoon each layer of batter from side and top, do not stir and scoop out batter for layering. Over time, there might be a layer of oil oozing out from butter which will be left at bottom of batter, if used, would make a dry and hardened layer.)



Repeat the steps of layering, grilling, pricking with toothpick, pressing down with a smoother, layering and grill till you finish up your batter.

13. For the last layer, turn the oven down to 180 degrees C and bake on middle rack for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Remove from oven and run a paring knife along the edges of the cake pan.
15. Turn the kueh lapis out of the pan and remove the baking parchment.




16. Flip cake back upright and let cool. 


 Notes:

1. You may use a ladle to scoop out your batter and even out top with a spatula. This ensures even amount for each lapis layer.
2. I personally prefer getting an exact amount of batter for each layer, hence I weigh them, and used 95g for each layer, for this 8 inch tin.
3. Kueh lapis cakes keep well because of liquor in it. You can simply wrap them up in clingwrap and place in ziplock bag before leaving in the freezer. Thaw before cutting and serving. Keeps well in freezer for up to a month or more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.