Thursday, April 24, 2014

Savoury Pumpkin Cake

I have several items on my to-do foodie list, 1 of them is savoury pumpkin cake. Mummy gave me a pumpkin last weekend and I immediately knew what I wanna do with it!  Yeah, pumpkin cake! Mum makes nice yam cakes and pumpkin cakes, so using her recipe, I tried it out.

All the prep works leading up to cooking it was no sweat, except for the shredding of the pumpkin part. Oh, I swear my right arm got slightly toned after the time spent shredding the pumpkin. Keke~

Gave half of the pumpkin cake to MIL. Hubby and I finished up the balance of 5 pieces during breakfast the next day! Yummy. Another thumb's up from my man :)


Savoury Pumpkin Kueh

400g pumpkin
180g rice flour
30g tapioca flour
300ml water (1st portion) (mix the water used to soak dried shrimps and dried mushroom together, top more water to make up 300ml)
300ml water (2nd portion) (for mixing of rice flour and tapioca flour)
1 tsp (alkaline water) – I omitted
50g dried shrimps
100g minced chicken
8 to 10 dried mushrooms, shredded
6 to 8 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
½ tbsp chicken stock (you may use plain water too) – I used ¼ cube Knorr chicken cube mixed in 3 tbsp hot water, spoon out required amount to use)
6 tbsp cooking oil
2 to 3 tbsp sliced shallots (fried and leave aside)

For garnishing (Optional)
200g sliced shallots (fried and leave aside)
Sliced spring onions
Sliced red chilli

1. Wash and rinse dried shrimps briefly, soak dried shrimps in hot water for about 30 minutes.  Remove soaked dried shrimps and chop till fine. Leave aside the water used to soak the dried shrimps.
2. Wash and soak dried mushrooms in hot water till soft.  Remove mushrooms and keep the mushroom water aside.  Remove mushroom stalks and cut into thin slices.
3. Skin pumpkin and shred it.
4. Mix rice flour and tapioca flour with 1 portion of water.
5. Deep fry sliced shallots over low heat set aside.
6. Stir fry garlic and dried shrimps with cooking oil till fragrant.  Add in mushrooms, stir fry for about 30 seconds, add in minced chicken and stir fry till minced chicken is just cooked.


7. Add pumpkin, the 1st portion of water , alkaline water (which I omitted), chicken stock, white pepper, salt and 2 to 3 tbsp fried shallots.  Cook till it boils and turn down heat.
8. Give the 2nd portion of flour and water mixture a stir to break up clumps forming at bottom, then stir in flour mixture into the main pot.  Stir and mix well.  Remove from heat.


9. Pour pumpkin mixture into a greased 7-inch round tin, spread the mixture out with a spatula and even out top and steam over high heat for 45min to an hour or till cooked.

Mine cooked after an hour.

10. Leave to cool completely before cutting. Garnish with spring onions, red chilli and shallots before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.