Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Ajitsuke Tamago (Ramen Egg)

No ramen is complete without a nicely done marinated soft-boiled ramen egg! To me, however yummy the soup broth may be, the egg has to be done right too. So, I procrastinated no further and tried my hand at an eggs-periment - ajitsuke tamago.

Casually cooked a bowl of Korean ramen and had it with the ramen egg. 


Ajitsuke Tamago (Ramen Eggs)
Recipe by Meemalee with slight changes made

6 eggs
3 tbsp light soy sauce (I used only 2 tbsp)
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin or dry sherry
1 tsp caster sugar
Pinch of instant dashi/MSG (optional) - I did not use this
1/2 tsp vinegar


1. Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl or jug and set to one side.

2. Bring a pot of water mixed with 1/2 tsp vinegar to a soft boil. (By adding vinegar to the water, it makes it easier to remove the egg shells when cooled.) Put the eggs gently into the soft boiling water and let it boil for 6 minutes exactly.

3. Remove eggs and put them into a bowl of ice water to cool the eggs.  This is done to stop the cooking further, which will cause the yolks to be hardened. As soon as they are cool enough to touch, peel them very carefully, making sure you don't split the whites.

4. Place the peeled eggs in a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade on top.

5. Roll the eggs around in the marinade, and then tie the bag tightly to prevent leakage.

6. Place the bag of eggs in a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight (turn them once though for even coverage).

7. The next day, when you're ready to eat them - on noodles, on rice, in a sandwich, in a ramen burger - slice your ramen eggs in half and enjoy.

I left it for longer than 12 hours and the egg exterior turned darker than the usual ramen eggs, but it was still yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.