Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pumpkin Croquette and Soupy Udon

July is over and we are well into mid of August. Mum's doing real well and our family is happy! Family support is very important indeed.

I have a thing for pumpkin croquettes and would definitely order them when Im in a Japanese restaurant.  Now with airfryer, I made them. Not too much like what we eat in the restaurants though. Would be better if they were crispier! Nevertheless, I have the never-say-die attitude and will improve on them again! Jiayou! Oh okay, and I have to admit that I used the normal pumpkins and not Japanese Kabocha. Next round then!



I cooked some udon to along with the croquettes as well.  Simple stock made from dashi stock packs I bought from NTUC.

Beware. Long read ahead. Hehe.

Quick Dashi Stock
Serves: Makes 3 Cups
Recipe by Justonecookbook

3 cups water
1 (9g) Awase (kombu & katsuobushi), Katsuo, or Iriko dashi packet


In a medium saucepan, add water and dashi packet (some brand may ask you to add the packet after boiling). Start cooking covered over medium high heat. After boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.

Discard the packet and dashi stock is ready to use.


Udon Soup
(Serves 2)
Recipe by Justonecookbook

4 cups dashi (I used just 3 cups) 
2 packages udon
2 inariage (seasoned fried tofu pouch), cut in half (I left this out)
1 green onion/scallion, finely sliced

Seasonings
2 Tbsp soy sauce (I used only 1 tbsp)
2 Tbsp mirin (I used only 1 tbsp)
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt

Toppings (optional) - I left these toppings out and made it plain
Narutomaki (fish cake), thinly sliced
Blanched spinach, cut into 2" (5 cm) pieces

1. In a medium saucepan, add dashi and the seasonings and bring to a boil.
2. Add the udon and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Serve udon and soup in bowls and top with inari age, green onion and additional toppings of your choice.


Kabocha Croquette (Pumpkin Croquette)
Recipe by maa1012


1/4 Kabocha squash (I used those normal pumpkins)
2tsp Honey
2 tsp Butter
a pinch of Salt
1/4 onion, minced
1 tbsp sweet corn

For coating
Flour (as needed)
1 Egg
Panko (as needed)

Tonkatsu sauce for dipping (optional) (I bought the Bull-Dog brand)


1. Peel the kabocha squash. Remove the seeds and cut into 3 cm cubes.
2. Put kabocha squash onto a heatproof dish lined with paper towels. Microwave for 5 minutes.


3. Mash the squash while it's hot. Combine with the ingredients and mix. Coat with flour, egg, and panko in this order. Deep-fry until golden brown. (If using airfryer, preheat it at 200deg for 3 to 5 min and airfry it for 7min. I turned the croquettes over after the 7min is up and airfried it further for another 1min.

Note: Add a little honey to bring out the natural sweetness of kabocha. When you microwave the kabocha over paper towels, it'll absorb the excess water, and make it fluffy. Leave the mashed kabocha aside and let cool slightly before forming patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.