Saturday, August 8, 2015

Chocolate Roll Cake with Nutella filling

Currently on a 10 days break before starting on my new job,  I have lots of time on hand to spare. Catching up on the hours of sleep that I have lost, prepping food,   cooking dinner as well as prepping breakfast for Hubby. I am so enjoying this period! Counting down to the days I get back to work again, if only time could stay still haha!

Now, you are in for some eye feasting here. I made my first ever chocolate roll cake and it was a nice one.



If you are a chocolate lover, you will love this cake. Chocolate cake with nutella filling, convinced? Nothing can really go wrong with Nutella actually. Heehee!

Will make this cake again because I love chocolate cake :)

Anyway, Happy Golden Jubilee Weekend to All! Have a wonderful long weekend break with your family and loved ones :)





Chocolate Roll Cake with Nutella filling


20g cocoa powder
40g hot water
60g egg yolks (about 3 big eggs, or 4 small eggs)
50g caster sugar
50g canola oil
15g milk + 15g espresso coffee, without milk/sugar (can just skip this and use 30g milk if no coffee. I use coffee to intensify the chocolate flavour and taste.)
75g plain flour

130g egg white
55g caster sugar

1. Mix cocoa powder with hot water amd stir well to form a thick smooth chocolate paste. Set aside.



2. Whisk egg yolk and sugar till well mixed and sugar is dissolved.  Add in canola oil, milk and espresso coffee and whisk to combine.



3. Add in chocolate paste and mix well with the egg yolk mixture.
4. Sieve plain flour into egg yolk mixture and whisk till combined.




5. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites till foamy. Add in caster sugar in 3 additions, making sure each addition is well mixed before adding more. Beat till stiff peaks form.

6. Place 1/3 of egg white into yolk mixture and fold in gently with a spatula or a whisk.
7. Fold in remaining egg whites in 2 additions till just incorporated. Make sure not to over fold and deflate the chiffon mixture.
8. Pour chiffon mixture into lined tin (10"×12"),  use a scraper to spread out and level mixture.




9. Put to bake in preheated oven at 180deg C for 12 to 15min or till done. (I baked 180deg, 21min in my Rowenta oven) To test done-ness, when cake springs back and makes a "sss" sound when pressed, it is done.
10. Remove and place on cooling rack. Place a new baking paper over top of cake and flip over to other side of cake. Remove baking paper and let it cool slightly before  rolling. You can choose to roll cake on either side of the cake.
11. Slice off end of swiss roll to form somehwat 45deg angle so that when cake is rolled till the end, it gets tucked nicely underneath. At the front of the cake where you will start the rolling, make 2 horizontal cut gently on the cake to allow easier rolling. Take care not to slice through cake.

12. Spread your favourite fillings and start rolling! (I used the all-time favourite Nutella spread)
13. Wrap rolled cake in baking paper and leave in fridge to set its shape for about 45min before slicing.


I prefer leaving the roll cake out till nutella filling has softened a little before eating.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. wedding cakes auburn al

    ReplyDelete

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.