Monday, August 17, 2015

Stir-fry Potato in Black Sauce

I am a pure Teochew and was brought up having mostly plain porridge for lunch when young. It is well known that Teochews enjoy eating plain porridge (cooked with or without sweet potatoes) along with many veggie and meat dishes.

We weren't a well-to-do family and had simple and cheap dishes with plain porridge for our lunches.  Nothing fanciful but it was good enough and we grew up healthily (and HAPPY!!! anyway :) ) Dad was the sole breadwinner of our family and slogged his life to bring back the keeps for our family. Mum stopped work when she had me and ever since then dedicated her life to my Dad and us children. I have a wonderful Dad and Mum, and I am grateful for them. Without them, no us today!

Gone were the days that my family has to live hands to mouth but old habits die hard - Till today, plain porridge are still my preferred type of lunch, especially when it's paired with dishes that I like.

I am a Teochew Ah Nia afterall. :)


This, a dish that is so simple and well paired with a bowl of plain porridge or even a bowl of plain rice.  A dish that Mum still cook for us today and we'll be like "yeah I like this dish!" when we get to the dinner table.

Stir-fry Potato in Black Sauce

5 Brastagi potatoes (peeled, rinsed & sliced)
80g to 100g chicken fillet, sliced thinly
3 pcs of garlic, minced
2 tbsp dark soy sauce sauce
Half bowl of water
1/2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp canola oil

1. Heat up oil in frying pan.
2. Add in minced garlic and fry till fragrant.
3. Add in sliced meat and stir fry till almost cooked. Place in sliced potatoes and stir fry well.
4. Add in dark soy sauce and chinese cooking wine and stir well to coat potatoes and meat with sauce. Add in water, enough to cover potatoes and mix well. Put on pot lid and turn to medium heat to bring to simmer. Sauce will start to thicken.
5. Stir fry the dish well, turn off heat and dish out. Serve immediately with plain rice or porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome All to my little food blog & utmost thanks for your effort in leaving me a comment. Regardless of whether or not you have tried and tested my recipes shared here, do drop me a note - I definitely would like to hear from you :)

I would appreciate if you DO NOT SPAM here. Spams will be removed upon my review.

All images and contents within this site are the sole copyright of The Fussy Palate © 2014 - 2015
No images may be reproduced or used without prior consent.